Culture Night is a national moment celebrating all that makes up the richness and diversity of culture in Ireland today; connecting people to cultural activities locally and nationally and opening up pathways to ongoing engagement. Culture Night is developed in partnership with local authorities and many other organisations and individuals across the island.
Culture Night is about openness, discovery, celebration and belonging. Doors are opened late and special and unique events are programmed at participating locations, online and broadcast. All activities are free.
Once again County Kilkenny will offer a number of outstanding events for all ages and interests to enjoy.
City events include:
• Butler Gallery – Culture Night 2023! This celebratory evening will include activities and entertainment for all the family, with late opening to their galleries, a workshop for children and music performed by folk and blues singer Clara Rose and band.
• The Clay Rooms will host a drop-in clay building workshop for adults. No experience is necessary. All materials and equipment will be supplied.
• The Kilkenny Arts Office Curator In Residence Programme will host an artist talk at MacDonagh Junction Shopping Centre. With a focus on current environmental issues pertinent in Ireland, Kilkenny based artists and artists local to Kilkenny will be discussing the ins and outs of art practice in the face of climate change.
• The Kilkenny Famine Experience at MacDonagh Junction Shopping Centre, is a free AV tour that will guide people around the buildings of the former Workhouse.
• Dreamstuff Youth Theatre present their utterly unauthorised and entirely improvised version of the classic Romeo + Juliet. Suitable for anyone 13+ and ideal for anyone (not) looking forward to tackling this classic text in school.
• The Heritage Council will open their doors to the public where you can learn about the history of the Heritage Council and the Bishop’s Palace with an exhibition and tours of their beautiful buildings and grounds.
• Kilkenny Castle will be open late; you can visit the Period Rooms free of charge and Laoise O’Brien (recorders) and Malcolm Proud (harpsichord), will take us back in time as they explore the music that would have been popular both upstairs and downstairs in Kilkenny Castle.
• Lighthouse Studios will present El Deafo, produced at Kilkenny’s Lighthouse Studios for Apple TV+, El Deafo is a BAFTA-winning 75-minute animated special based on the New York Times best-selling graphic novel memoir of the same name by author Cece Bell.
• Loughboy library have invited Cairdeas choir to perform an evening of tender harmonies mixed with rock/classical tunes. They will also host a fun vocal workshop for children 8 – 12 years.
• Young Irish Film Makers is opening its doors to showcase some of the best youth made short films from around the country. Come along, grab a bowl of popcorn and enjoy yourself!
• The Medieval Mile museum invites you to Step Back in Time and Unearth the Secrets of Medieval Kilkenny’s Graveyard Tour. A captivating journey through history to explore the rich tapestry of medieval Kilkenny.
• The Watergate Theatre present the award winning Fred & Alice Love in the time of OCD written by award winning writer John Sheehy, performed by Ciaran Bermingham & Cora Fenton.
County Events include:
• The Upper Paddock Biodiversity Garden in Thomastown will be open for free tours and you can paint your own glass lantern that you can take home, or leave out to add to the garden’s art pieces.
• Clogh Writers will host events related to the Basin Valley, Clogh/Moneenroe/Castlecomer. Different aspects of local and wider culture will be celebrated through, words, visual arts, music, dance and local craft exhibits and displays.
• Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann, Craobh Osrai at St. Lachtain’s Church will present a one hour entertainment show of Irish music, song, dance and storytelling, featuring Ceoltóirí Kilkenny and guests.
• Earth Conscious Art Making at KCAT Arts Centre, Callan. KCATs experienced art tutors, artists and learners have co-designed and will deliver a variety of free drop-in visual art workshops suitable for all ages
• Poetry By The Barrow, a poetry reading group invite you to come relax in the quaint surroundings of Mick Doyles Pub, Graignamanagh to listen to some poetry.
For event times and more detailed information on all events please visit:
Printed brochures are available from all venues mentioned above and from Kilkenny Arts Office, phone 0567794547 or email email@example.com for your copy.
Tell us about your Culture Night #CultureNight #OícheChultúir #OneNightForAll #OícheDarSaol