Cody clips Dublin’s wings as Donnelly shines in Captial win!

0-3 for David Blanchfield from his defensive berth

POTM hits a magnificent 7 points as late goal seal’s win




Round 4, Parnell Park

Dublin 2-23 (29)

Kilkenny 1-28 (31)

Eoin Cody pounced late on to snatch maximum points for the Cats in a thrilling clash with the Dubs in Parnell Park and send them to the top of the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship table in a contest that had a real ‘big game’ feel to it.  In front of a big crowd over just over 7,000, the Shamrocks Ballyhale star benefited from great work by the impressive Mossy Keoghan and sub Billy Ryan before batting his shot past the helpless Sean Brennan to send the Kilkenny faithful back to Noreside in jubilant mood.

The visitors got off to a fast start with Tullaroan’s Mossy Keoghan getting the first score in the opening minute, after taking a good pass from captain Paddy Deegan.  Dublin’s Danny Sutcliffe opened the home side’s account in the fourth minute having been set up well by Fergal Whitley.  Derek Lyng’s side then hit three scores without reply, a brace of placed balls from TJ Reid and the first point of Eoin Cody’s tally of 1-3 before wing back Chris Crummey fired over for the boys in blue.  TJ then notched his second score of the day from a free before Donal Burke struck over from play; the first of his impressive 0-14 haul for the Na Fianna man.  The next score came from John Donnelly, who had surrendered possession to allow Burke to score moments earlier. The Thomastown player had one of his best performances in the black and amber, finishing his evening’s work with 0-7, all from play, as he helped steer his side to victory.

St Jude’s Danny Sutcliffe fired over his second score of the day before Kilkenny another trio of scores on the bounce, TJ Reid, John Donnelly and Eoin Cody, all from play to leave the visitors five points ahead after 15 minutes of action in Parnell Park.  With the Cats seemingly in full control, Dublin responded with a hattrick of their own, all courtesy of that man Donal Burke.  The third of Burke’s scores came from a ‘65 after Eoin Murphy pulled off a great save to deny Kilmacud’s Ronan Hayes a certain major.  Cian O’Sullivan then struck one of the points of the evening for Micheál Donoghue’s men before Mossy did all the work himself before rifling over.

The returning Mikey Carey then got a rare point for the Cats who added to their first half tally with lovely scores from Cian Kenny and David Blanchfield, but the Noresiders four-point lead was about to be cut to the bare minimum.  Midfielder Conor Burke ran onto Chris Crummey’s pass before exchanging passes with Sean Currie.  The St Vincent’s clubman then struck his shot past Glenmore’s Eoin Murphy as the Dublin supporters raised the volume inside Parnell Park.  John Donnelly and Donal Burke exchanged scores before the short whistle, to leave the half time score 1-12 to 0-16, the narrowest of leads for Derek Lyng’s outfit.

The Kilkenny management made one change at the break, Graigue Ballycallan’s Billy Ryan entering the fray in place of O’Loughlin’s Owen Wall. Just like the first half, it would be the Cats that registered the opening score, and a well taken one it was from Bennettsbridge’s David Blanchfield.  A pair of free’s from Donal Burke saw the sides deadlocked, and this trend was repeated following scores from TJ (f) and the final score of Danny Sutcliffe’s three-point tally.  Richie Reid was then sprung from the bench and slotted in at ‘6’, a move that saw Paddy Deegan step into midfield as Shane Murphy made way.

TJ Reid, The Village’s Cian Kenny and the towering David Blanchfield added to the visitor’s tally but the men from the Capital battled on and tagged on scores from Donal Burke (2f) and Cian O’Sullivan to draw the sides level yet again with 48 minutes of entertaining action gone at the Donnycarney venue.  TJ and Mossy fired over further points for Kilkenny, but just like before Chris Crummey and Donal Burke replied for the Metropolitans to tie things up once more, but the lead was coming, and it would be for Micheál Donoghue’s charges.

The talented and roving Eoghan O’Donnell then powered forward before passing to Brian Hayes who dispatched his shot past Kilkenny’s Eoin Murphy to give the home side a 3-point lead after 54 minutes.  The Dubs supporters were now in full voice, as ‘Come on you Boys in Blue’ echoed around Parnell Park, perhaps the crowd thought full time was a little closer.  Derek Lyng would have hoped for a response, especially after the Carlow game, and he got it.  A brace of lovely scores from the industrious John Donnelly and a 3rd point from Eoin Cody saw the Cats level the game once more before Billy Ryan and Conor Burke swapped scores, the latter of which had a touch of wide about it.

Thomastown’s Donnelly then struck over his seventh score of the game to edge the Marble City men ahead, but Na Fianna’s Donal Burke replied a minute later as a share of the spoils seemed the most likely outcome, but no one told the Cats. Mossy Keoghan, Billy Ryan with the build up, Eoin Cody with the batted finish. Four up, time nearly up.  Donal Burke popped over a free, but Limerick whistler Johnny Murphy blew for full time.  No more singing from the home crowd.  Final score, Dublin 2-23, Kilkenny 1-28.

Scorers for Kilkenny: TJ Reid 0-8 (7fs), John Donnelly 0-7, Eoin Cody 1-3, Martin Keoghan 0-3, David Blanchfield 0-3, Cian Kenny 0-2, Mikey Carey 0-1, Billy Ryan 0-1.

Scorers for Dublin: Donal Burke 0-14 (0-10f, 0-1 65), Conor Burke 1-1, Brian Hayes 1-0, Danny Sutcliffe 0-3, Chris Crummey 0-3, Cian O’Sullivan 0-2.

Kilkenny: Eoin Murphy; Tommy Walsh, Huw Lawlor, Mikey Butler; David Blanchfield, Paddy Deegan, Mikey Carey; Shane Murphy, Cian Kenny; Tom Phelan, TJ Reid John Donnelly; Martin Keoghan, Eoin Cody, Owen Wall.

Subs: Billy Ryan for Wall HT, Richie Reid for S Murphy 42, Conor Fogarty for Phelan 59, Cillian Buckley for Carey 69.

Dublin: Sean Brennan; John Bellew, Eoghan O’Donnell, Paddy Smyth; Chris Crummey, Conor Donohoe, Paddy Doyle; Brian Hayes, Conor Burke; Danny Sutcliffe, Donal Burke, Fergal Whitely; Sean Currie, Cian O’Sullivan, Ronan Hayes.

Subs: Paul Crummey for O’Sullivan 44, Darragh Power for Whitely 49, Daire Gray for Doyle 63, Jake Malone for Currie 65, Dara Purcell for R Hayes 69.

Referee: Johnny Murphy (Limerick).



Eoin Cody’s late goal may have snatched the points in Parnell Park, but step forward John Donnelly. The Thomastown man put in an outstanding performance in the Capital, non-stop work rate coupled with 0-7 from play.  One of his best, if not the best showing in the Kilkenny jersey for Donnelly.

There were also telling contributions from Tullaroan’s Mossy Keoghan, David Blanchfield, and while Eoin Murphy may have been beaten twice, he also prevented futher major’s for the boys in blue.  Please don’t start singing!!

The final group game in Leinster takes place tomorrow when Derek Lyng’s outfit welcome Keith Rossiter’s Wexford to UPMC Nowlan Park (Throw-in 2pm).  The table is so tight, with Kilkenny one point ahead of Dublin, Galway and Saturday’s opponents. Avoid defeat at home tomorrow, a place in this year’s Leinster final awaits.

Keith Rossiter has done a decent job with the Yellowbellies and appears to have instilled huge belied in this Wexford panel.  Lee Chin is still the main man, but there are other dangermen in the shape of Conor McDonald and Rory O’Connor.  The Slaneysiders took care of business against a Carlow side that held our Cats a week earlier, notching an impressive 2-36 in their Netwatch Cullen Park demolition.

It would be nice to retain the provincial title, lets quell the Wexford rising and look forward to another day out in Croke Park in two weeks time.  Come on you boys in black and amber!

Previous Kilkenny’s “forgotten Market House” revealed by Heritage Walkers!
Next Bambie proves a different kind of ‘Vision